Black/White

The past few years have seen an explosion of bright colour, to the point that it started to feel like sensory overload. Not surprisingly, the fashion pendulum has started to swing the other way. Black and white is one of the major trends for spring/summer 2013.


From Instyle Magazine (source)

I used to work in a very conservative, corporate environment, which was reflected in my day-to-day wardrobe. These days, I can dress much more casually but I can also be more creative. Being a busy mother on the go means that there is the constant temptation to slide backwards into wearing jeans and tee-shirt all the time - it's easy, and takes zero thought  and effort. However, I have read numerous studies that show that people who work outside of a traditional office setting get more accomplished if they make the effort to dress up. It would be nice to find an easy "uniform" that is comfortable enough to let me keep up with the kids, while still looking polished enough for getting some serious work done. and also conveying something about my personal style. On top of that, the outfit has to be age appropriate - I am not looking for crazy trends here. The combination of black and white really speaks to me as it is so sharp looking but still all in neutrals. Plus, I have always been fond of outfits with a high contrast, graphic punch. Here is a recent outfit....


J. Crew Nolita white denim jacket;
J. Crew black/ivory stripe silk slip dress (from a couple years ago, the name escapes me)
Although designers were showing looks with head-to-toe black and white, including all the accessories, I find it is a little harsh in real life and I suspect it will look dated pretty soon. I like to break it up with accessories in a softer colour, like rich cognac brown.

Wallace & Barnes leather belt (old)

Bag'N'Noun mini tool bag; J. Crew leather ballet flats (old)
When wearing a palette of black and white, I thought it would fun to wear a bright, sheer lip colour and then keep everything else neutral.

Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in "05-Plushest Punch",
blotted down to a stain - sheer but still very intense
(reviewed earlier here).
The black/white palette looks great on men too. I got this shirt for M a while back. I love black and white gingham, it looks cool, crisp and sharp all at the same time. We decided to punch it up a bit with some pattern play.


Boss dress shirt in black/white gingham;
Boss tie in pale tan/black/red check.
Are you partaking in black and white these season?
Tags:

0 comments